I was up early this morning and was thinking about building an outdoor pull-up/ring station and began a search on google. After about an hour I had compiled this list of instructions and videos to help in my quest. The links below range from good to ridiculous and everywhere in between (Some are just plain dangerous). I have not tried any of the designs and recommend you use your head before using any of them. After reviewing the list, my best suggestion is that if you suck at building stuff or your unsure about those abilities at all, you might want to buy a bar from a company.
If and when I decide to build my own, I’m gonna make sure it’s very sturdy, uses a lot of metal and more than likely uses welds to hold the thing together (I’m not a welder, I’ll have to hire someone). I might even try the stuff made by speed rail, but haven’t decided yet.
Anyway if you’re Mr. Build it, some of these links might help, while others will make you laugh and wonder how long it was until someone ended up in the hospital.
If you don't want to build a pull up bar, check out this great option. This is sold on amazon from CFF and gets great reviews. It sells for $109. I have a similar one, and can say that these work great. I like this model better than the ceiling mount types, because of the limited height between the bar and ceiling. With the wall mount types, you also get enough space away from the wall to do kips, plus the ability to do bar muscle ups if you get there in the future.
Here is a book on pull-ups if you are new to them.
Now to the List!
1. - Halfway down page. http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/Grunt/Bodyweight.html
3. Video Instructions Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky_7aIicx9Q
4. Another Video on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lij3R2y54E
6. Written instructions, very basic and really no photos - https://www.livestrong.com/article/34408-homemade-pullup-bars/
9. PVC and Rope – Scary stuff - https://homeworkoutblog.com/how-to-make-a-homemade-chin-up-bar-for-5-or-les/
10. Another post with no photos and just a description. Kind of useless if you ask me. https://www.buzzle.com/articles/homemade-pull-up-bar-how-to-build-a-pull-up-bar.html
11. This post just seems odd, tell me what you think. https://www.ordinary-joe-muscle-building.com/homemade-chin-up-bar.html
12. Ehow directions – Ridiculous because they are so generic with no photos. https://www.ehow.com/way_5704818_homemade-pull-up-bar.html
13. Just some picks of one using rope and one attached to the ceiling. https://www.ehow.com/way_5704818_homemade-pull-up-bar.html
14. Unique doorway design with pipe - https://www.instructables.com/id/No-Screws-or-Holes-Pull-Up-Bar-Door-Gym/
15. Another pipe bar - https://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-pullup-bar.html
16. Wow this looks like an accident waiting to happen. The curved posts bolted to the tree look like the aluminum extensions from my ladder (Video). https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xir0zd_homemade-pull-up-bar_sport
17. A descriptive video using pipe from Home Depot, he even shows a receipt
18. A basic idea with questions from the guy wanting to build it. https://slumz.boxden.com/f171/few-building-questions-homemade-pullup-bar-1554698/
19. A simple design using wood and a pipe with drawings - https://www.thefitblog.net/2008/11/the-pull-up-the-pull-up-bar-and-how-to-build-one-cheap.html
20. Yet another pipe model - https://fitgirlatx.blogspot.com/2007/10/how-we-made-our-pull-up-bar.html
21. This one seems to use speedrail – which is a pretty cool idea – one of my favorites on this list. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQr7tBScbn8&feature=related
22. What seems to be a very sturdy backyard contraption - https://www.alkavadlo.com/2010/10/building-a-backyard-pull-up-bar/
23. Do not try this – This is just plain dumb and dangerous - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTYGcaDaFb4&feature=related
24. A pipe bar again but installed on a back deck - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFdYtSsUB2o&feature=related
25. Looks very sturdy, but the cross bar could prevent any swinging (Kipping) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy8muSzSfx0&feature=related
Here are some additional links you might be interested in.
If you're having trouble with your pull-ups, I found this. I haven't tried it, but its worth a look. Pull-Up Challenge
Tabata songs for your Tabata WOD's - Tabata Songs
Well that’s it. I went about four pages back on my Google search and this is what I came up with. It is by no means an exhaustive list on the subject. In fact I excluded some links that only contained instructions and no photos because they were boring and said nothing of value.
If you have any other links I’d love to post them, especially any bars that were welded. Please use common sense if you try any of these plans, because I have not tried them and don’t recommend any of them. Try at your own risk.
* Disclosure Per FCC You need to know that certain links from this article are to affiliate products for sale. What that means is that if you click on the link and later purchase a product from the site I could get paid. You can read a more in depth disclosure here if need be. So why would I tell you this? Well first it’s the law, second it’s the right thing to do and third I ain’t got nothing to hide. Since this site don’t pay the bills by itself, I figure providing a link to product you might want could benefits both of us.
** I Have Not reviewed the DIY projects or have I tried them, nor do I endorse them, they are for search convenience only, please do your own research before trying these projects.
See you in the hills.